Friday, May 2, 2008

Denver National Quilt Festival III

Thursday, I spent several hours at the Denver National Quilt Festival III. I couldn't decide whether to shop or look at the quilts first. I decided to just start from one end and work my way to the other. The first row was filled with special exhibit quilts, including quilts from the Colorado Quilting Council on Parade 2008. Also on this row was Pressing Matters II-Chicago School of Fusing featuring the works of Frieda Anderson, Ann Fahl, Melody Johnson, Anne Lullie, Emily Parson, Judy Coates Perez, and Laura Wasilowski. There are 13 special exhibits at the show, including quilts, clothing, and dolls from the Hoffman Challenge.

The next 3 rows were vendor booths, so in the first two rows I was able to shop and look at quilts. I thoroughly enjoyed my leisurely walk through the vendor booths. It was my little taste of Paducah and the Chicago Quilt Festival. I talked to a couple of friends who had vended at all three shows--Chicago, Paducah, and Denver. I don't know how they did it. Shows are fun, but very strenuous--especially setting up and taking down.

Finally I got to the quilt competition. I love quilts--I love art quilts, I love traditional quilts, I love small quilts, I love large quilts--and this competition had them all! Over 230 quilts were on display in the competition, not counting the special exhibits and you were able to get up close and personal with them all, although there was a crowd around our own Ann Petersen's quilt, Fine Feathered Fancy (shown below). The winning quilts were, of course, stunning, and Ann's quilt won Dierdra McElroy's Judges Choice award. Congratulations Ann!



Overall, it was a pretty good show--a little expensive to get in. I wish the vendor mall had more vendors, but it has a lot of competition, with Chicago and Paducah so close. Let me know what you think.

Lynda

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi, I also attended the Denver Quilt Fest. I thought the admission price was kind of high too. I did a lot of shopping. My favorite booth was Grandma's Quilts. I met two really great gals and we picked out tons of cloth for 2 new quilts. They gave me great advice and new perspectives on piecing. I have to admit I did more shopping than looking at the quilts. I did see several beautiful hand quilted ones from the shop in Golden. I looked for the GAQF booth but didn't see one?!?

Lynda and Nancy said...

Thanks for your comment Julie. No, we didn't have a booth this year.We just don't think that it is advertised enough, although you never know. It is always a toss up.